Be a part of the Mirror Mountain experience.
Mirror Mountain Film Festival is currently seeking proposals from local filmmakers, media artists, musicians and bands for a live performance that combines music and film/video projection. The performance will take place during our upcoming online festival, happening July 24th – 25th 2021, and is a co-presentation with Girls+ Rock Ottawa.
Interested applicants are encouraged to watch past Mirror Mountain live performances to get a sense of what we are looking for:
Rules & guidelines:
– You may submit a proposal as a filmmaker/media artist, as a solo musician, or as a band. Mirror Mountain will pair successful applicants with a suitable partner.
– OR, you may submit as a combo, if you already have a firm idea of whom you would like to work with.
– Applicants should design their proposals with the expectation that the performance may need to be conducted from home, under COVID-19 quarantine conditions.
– Applications are free to submit. There is no charge for submitting an application.
– Submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance. Only 1 filmmaker/media artist and 1 musician/band will be chosen.
– Precedence will be given to local applicants from the Ottawa-Gatineau region, but proposals from elsewhere will also be considered.
– Live performances typically last approximately 30 – 45 minutes.
– Proposals from filmmakers/media artists should involve an element of live manipulation or interaction with the projections that create changes in the images in real time. Proposals that feature pre-recorded visuals playing by themselves will be given a lower priority.
All applications should include:
– A text description of your concept/idea for the performance.
– A basic outline of your expected equipment and technical requirements. Mention what equipment you do not already have access to, and what will need to be rented/sourced, if applicable.
– Up to 3 links to online examples of your work.*
*Only submit online links/passwords to your past work on sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud and Bandcamp. Physical support material (i.e. CDs/DVDs) will not be accepted.
Mirror Mountain will:
– Work with the selected artists to ensure high professional standards of presentation, to the best of the festival’s ability under current circumstances.
– Pay fees to the selected artists.
– Produce high-quality documentation of the performance that can be used for professional and promotional purposes.
This year’s proposals will be reviewed by the Mirror Mountain team with special guest music juror Gloria Guns.
Gloria Guns (she/they) is a multi-instrumental artist based in Ottawa, who has been performing music for over fifteen years. Since 2010, she has served as the frontwoman for indie dream pop band Scary Bear Soundtrack, which performed at the 2016 Mirror Mountain Film Festival as part of the live music + video performance in collaboration with media artist Timothy I. Smith. She also has her own solo experimental music project under her name gloria guns. Gloria is a volunteer keyboard teacher with Girls+ Rock Ottawa and has been training in traditional Korean music through the Korean Cultural Centre and the Ottawa Korean percussion group Ottapae.
The deadline to submit a proposal is March 15th 2021. Proposals will not be accepted after this time. Send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the text “Live Performance Proposal” in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to your submissions!